Re: Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

  • From: Andy Walden
  • Date: Wed Aug 27 20:52:29 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I'm not sure if any of them are here, or if they would make their
> info known...but I'm sure vendors have some good data.  I know
> Cisco's online ordering tool has about a bazillion (and yes, that's
> the right term) shippers, and I'm sure they track the number of
> problems reported.  No doubt other vendors do as well.

Certainly, with 4.7 BILLION in revnue last quarter
(http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030805/55780_1.html), they must have significant
relationships with specific shippers to generate real data. The only
objection I can think of is if you are a shipper doing *that much*
business with a single company, how much extra care are you going to give
boxes with some guy connecting a circuit on the front of them? How much
care are you going to give everyone else? It still comes down to human
nature and the luck of thd draw unless you are a major part of the
shippers revenues and this has been driven into your head?

andy
--
PGP Key Available at http://www.tigerteam.net/andy/pgp