Re: Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

  • From: Andy Walden
  • Date: Wed Aug 27 19:38:35 2003
On 27 Aug 2003, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> FedEx Heavy = "pay a surcharge for heavy boxes, get it moved by a 120
> pound delivery person with a handtruck rather than a pallet jack or
> other appropriate freight handling equipment... and dropped off the
> truck".  My experience is a 40% damage rate when shipping Cisco 7507
> and 7513 routers via FedEx Heavy.  Here are some pictures from back
> when I was at AboveNet: http://www.seastrom.com/fedex/

That's it Rob, let it all out. ;) I can certainly empathize, as I have
have my bad experiences with Fedex as well. We also use Emery on a
regular basis for the big things also. The bottom line is, like vendors,
all shippers can suck at times...it really is luck of the draw if some
guy along the line decides that he is going to not care about your gear
at some point while he is handling it. Accidents happen as well...

C'est la vie..what can you do. Counter to counter I find is most
effective, but as mentioned earlier, does require some effort on the
sender's part.

andy
--
PGP Key Available at http://www.tigerteam.net/andy/pgp