Re: Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Wed Aug 27 19:13:51 2003

"N. Richard Solis" <[email protected]> writes:

> FedEx will be your best bet.  Trust me.

FedEx Heavy = "pay a surcharge for heavy boxes, get it moved by a 120
pound delivery person with a handtruck rather than a pallet jack or
other appropriate freight handling equipment... and dropped off the
truck".  My experience is a 40% damage rate when shipping Cisco 7507
and 7513 routers via FedEx Heavy.  Here are some pictures from back
when I was at AboveNet: http://www.seastrom.com/fedex/

> You COULD do a counter to counter shipment via an airline cargo desk.
> That MIGHT be cheaper but you will still have to transport it from your
> spot to their pickup and back again on the other side.

Counter-to-counter is the *last* way you would want to ship that sort
of thing (handled as luggage on a flight, beat to hell by baggage
handlers, and you get to retrieve it from baggage claim in an airport
and schlep it all the way to your car).  Far better (if you have
access to trucks on both ends) is to ship it air freight.  As you
enter your favorite airport, follow the signs to Air Cargo, not the
signs to the passenger terminal.  When you find a place with a lot of
places for 18-wheelers to back up to loading docks, and relatively few
places for cars to park, you've found the right place.  Matthew
doesn't mention specific terminus points for the shipment, but based
on whois information I'll make a wild guess that NYC is one end.  JFK
appears to be the "big" United installation (vs LGA and EWR), per info
on www.unitedcargo.com - I tend to prefer them because of their long
hours for pickup and delivery at IAD, which makes life convenient for
me.  :)

If you need door-to-door service, there are numerous air freight
forwarders who can handle palletized equipment and move it around the
country/world in a timely fashion (and really, if you're talking about
300+ pounds of rackmount equipment, that's how you want to move it
anyway).

Two companies that I've used and been quite happy with the results are
Cavalier International and Eagle Global Logistics.  You may recognize
Eagle's logo from stickers on previous shipments that you've gotten
from major manufacturers who have stuff manufactured in the Far East.
The Pros Know.

http://www.eaglegl.com/
http://www.cavalier-intl.com/

                                        ---Rob