Re: Microsoft distributes free CDs in Japan to patch Windows

  • From: Roland Perry
  • Date: Wed Aug 27 09:27:48 2003

In article <[email protected]>, JC Dill
<[email protected]> writes
>Later I learned that this "critical update" package was mostly for installing
>IE6, and that there are a lot of people who have had this same problem trying to
>install IE6 on ME

I've been installing Windows for about 15 years (back when Windows was
v2.11 and Windows/386 where you could run more than one application at a
time was novelty). By Windows for Workgroups, it was becoming irritating
that you had a patch to apply every six months or so, and re-installing
from a dozen floppies could easily take an hour. But since Windows 95, I
really haven't had much of a problem with Windows installation itself,
nor applying the ever more frequent patches, with one exception. As a
Golden Rule, only ever use the version of IE that's one older than the
current distribution (eg use IE5 at the moment). Although this is
getting harder and harder to unpick from the general updates, as you
describe.

ps Windows ME was truly horrible when it came to memory management, and
not helped by people suggesting it, plus an application, can run in
128Mb; a real triumph of hope over experience.
--
Roland Perry