Re: Force Majeure

  • From: Ian Mason
  • Date: Mon Aug 25 22:16:17 2003

At 01:34 26/08/2003, Randy Bush wrote:

> In the opinion of folks on this list, did the recent power
> failure in the northeast (started 8/14 and lasted several days in
> some places) constitute a force majeure event?
The question is 'force majeure' from whose point of view? If the electric company blacks out my office for two days, at a site I'm not committed to 24x7 operation then, yes if a customer asks why I haven't done something I say 'force majeure'. If I'm claiming on my insurance for the wrecked contents of my freezer at home and my insurers claim the same I laugh and say 'see you in court' (at which time they usually capitulate rapidly.)

you have mistaken the nanog list for a legal consulting service.
we are geeks, not lawyers, and most of us are not even foolish
enough to play at being lawyers on the net.
This is of course, rubbish. Geeks *love* to be barrack room lawyers. In fact Randy,
I've sat next to you at dinner and heard you doing it. :-)

randy