Lazy Engineers and Viable Excuses

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Mon Aug 25 18:25:06 2003

Again...

If folks were to implement explicit prefix filtering
*everywhere* it wouldn't be necessary to filter only
bogons and other miscellany explicitly.  Something of
this sort would only "lower the lazy bar" (is it
possible?) for the clueless and/or lazy (those which
Rob's list currently accommodates, which is better than
nothing, BUT.. -- no offense Rob, I'm pretty sure our
beliefs are aligned here :-).

If folks want to filter, please, please, PLEASE, employ IRR
infrastructure and filter customers *AND* peers explicitly.
If your vendors have issues with this, push them to fix it.
Then you don't have to worry about bogons, max-prefixes,
route hijacking, de-aggregation, or...

Then we can worry about IRR infrastructure hardening and
accuracy and derive explicit data plane filters from the
output, as well as other tangible benefits.

Is it really that hard?

-danny