Re: Sobigf + BGP

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Sun Aug 24 07:59:49 2003

"Stephen J. Wilcox" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, guy wrote:

> > "J. Oquendo" wrote:

> > > 'vuln'dev', and besides I wouldn't think that any
> > > one here would do something malicious with any idea
> > > that actually worked for the worse.

Stunning innocence. I had to read this statement at least four times to be
sure that I was not mistaken. Then I examined the headers, and I wonder if
you (J. Oquendo) are being a bit disengenous. You may be well-meaning, but
I cannot believe that anyone believes such a thing.

> > Assuming that everyone subscribed to the list has the best of intentions,
> > what about people that can scan the publicly accessible archives? Or even
> > the search engines that have nanog archives indexed? There's nothing wrong
> > with kicking ideas like this around with the intention of coming up with a
> > strategy on how to combat them, but perhaps a more discreet forum would be
> > appropriate?

We have seen that many people *posting* do not have the best of intentions;
I can assure you that there are lurkers on Nanog (surprise, surprise) who
are not nearly as naive and well-intentioned as J. O. would hope. In fact,
I know that there are subscribers from various print media, various on-line
media, and certainly some stunningly unpleasant characters that I run into
on other lists.

There is no such thing as a discreet forum. If you mean by that, a few
people exchanging emails, then surely that is not a forum, not being
public. If it is publically accessible, and you aren't sure of precisely
every member that's on it, then it's NOT discreet. It may be obscure, but I
know plenty people who specialize in the obscure.

> There are a lot more people subscribed to the list than you actually see
> posting, I'm sure many of them are representatives of the l33t h4x0r community..

Those are hardly the persons you need worry about. There *is* no hacker
community. There may be pockets here and there, with people of varying
skills, and purposes, but there is no community.

On the other hand, this is almost certainly not a topic for Nanog, even if
the word BGP does appear in the original post.
--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.