Re: W32/Sobig-F - Halflife correlation ???

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Sat Aug 23 08:07:43 2003

On 8/23/03 7:17 AM, "Darren Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> They were trying to hit servers in multiple subnets, all on ports 270XX.

I'm not sure on this.  Lots of gaming servers use the 270XX UDP range.
Quake3, HL, etc.

It may be possible it's just probing for other HL servers running on
different ports.  A lot of these games also use the same gaming engine for
the network and graphics abilities, so it's possible HL may not be the only
"game server" in the mix, it may be any game that uses the HL engine.  I
know there are several out there, Counterstrike being one of them.

So if it's not looking for a HL only exploit, I'd bet it's trying to get the
infected machines to link up and communicate via the network of gaming
servers.  This could be very bad because there could be virtually no way to
stop this other than taking down the "Game Spy" type networks so the
computers can't find each other.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

"Oh my God, Space Aliens!!  Don't eat me, I have a wife and kids!
                Eat them!"  -- Homer J. Simpson