Re: Email virus protection

  • From: chuck goolsbee
  • Date: Wed Aug 20 20:51:43 2003

To answer the original question asked...

At 10:50 -0700 8/20/03, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
What is the most common method for providing virus protection for your
hosted email customers?  Thank you in advance.

We use a layered approach, with Postini being the front line ...they do an *excellent* job, and we - and our clients - love them.
<http://www.postini.com>
We forced all the (mail) domains we host to use Postini about a year ago when our mail servers came under some serious directory harvest attacks. We allow clients to opt-out of the spam filtering if they want, but still run the mail through Postini's system anyway to stop directory harvest and virus attacks. Postini can be set to filter, but not quarantine, which looks to our opt-out clients like no filtering but still saves our mailservers from most assaults.

Second layer is some nice configuration options on our customer-facing mail servers, which run CommunigatePro from Stalker.
<http://www.stalker.com>
CGP is as full featured as Exchange, but without the BS. Plus it has the added benefit of actually working as advertised, and can be run on virtually *any* platform. The suits like the buzzword-compliance and the fact that it is commercially supported (excellent support too I'll add.) The geeks like it because it *works*... and on any platform they choose.

The last layer is of course the hardest to control, as it is out of our hands and in the client's, but we strongly suggest that they use a mail client that doesn't auto-execute code.

Myself, I use Eudora on my PowerBook running OS X. I know that doesn't make me somehow immune to everything... just the vast majority. My nanog list mail account got joejobbed by the "Netscalibur" user, both as sender and receiver (supposedly from Valdis Kletnieks, and somebody at NetSol.) and I've never seen what an Outlook mail client looks like. =)

I have to agree with Mr. Donelan who said here:
"(Microsoft) Outlook, the exploding Pinto on the information superhighway."

Regards,
--

Chuck Goolsbee V.P. Technical Operations
digital.forest Phone: +1-877-720-0483, x2001