Re: Email virus protection

  • From: Karsten W. Rohrbach
  • Date: Wed Aug 20 17:39:25 2003

just me([email protected])@2003.08.20 14:17:17 +0000:

> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1997-14.html
> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1998-10.html
>
> Wow, the second one even mentions Mutt by name.

The more recent of those two advisories is dated August 11, 1998.
What are you trying to express, by citation of those pretty outdated
CERT advisories? If you are trying to imply that software does not
improve in a time frame of five years, go ahead and convince me. =)

On a different angle, the apparent problem of a software product being
vulnerable to an exploit is not solved by deploying a - albeit
well-patched - application monoculture worldwide. Risk is lowered by
using more well-designed software packages out there. Diversity is the
name of the game, it's nature's solution and it seems to work quite
well.

Regards,
/k

--
> Zero Defects, n.: The result of shutting down a production line.
webmonster.de -- InterNetWorkTogether -- built on the open source platform
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6