RE: To send or not to send 'virus in email' notifications?

  • From: John Ferriby
  • Date: Wed Aug 20 10:43:53 2003

> Considering the amount of email traffic generated by responding to
> forged  virus laden email from culprits like sobig should email virus
> scanning systems be configured to send notifications back to
> sender or not?

IMO: No.  I have had around 200 of these alerts this morning alone,
most of which originate from [email protected] which received
email using my forged address.     I can't blithely ignore the
postmaster, but I'm sorely tempted to filter them.

Side note: I'm seeing about a 20x increase in smtp traffic over
the daily norm.

-John