Re: Don't beat me, but i've noticed a huge influx of these .pif virii today.

  • From: Henry Linneweh
  • Date: Tue Aug 19 17:25:04 2003

Now having personally experienced the worm myself.....
This is how it went, there was no known way to remove the worm with
any current software for the variety that I had, it was mutagenic, recognized
AVP, and other forms of disinfectors and went nuts propagating itself to the
point the only solution left was Low level format...format and reinstall

At that point we were not sure if the media itself was not damaged and
held our breath for a while, thankfully it was not and now my box is back
up and running  -minus the data that was not recoverable.

If anyone is having their techs do this, be nice to them and be kind
because it takes about 6 hours plus to do each box completely

-Henry

"Jade E. Deane" <[email protected]> wrote:
Drew,
You're not seeing things. I would say you can thank "W32/Sobig.F-mm",
referenced in http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5065494.html.

Allow me to quote a bit from the story:

[quote]
The sender appears to be someone from a recognized domain name, such as
ibm.com, zdnet.com or microsoft.com. The subject line typically says
"Re: Details," "Resume" or "Thank you."

Attachment names may include: your_document.pif, details.pif,
your_details.pif, thank_you.pif, movie0045.pif, document_Fall.pif,
application.pif, and document_9446.pif.
[/quote]

Regards,
Jade