nanog traceroute (was Re: MPLS ICMP Extensions)

  • From: haesu
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 16:25:45 2003

See attached

-hc

--
Sincerely,
  Haesu C.
  TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
  WWW: http://www.towardex.com
  E-mail: [email protected]
  Cell: (978) 394-2867
#define V630 /* V6.3.0 */
#define TRACE_TOS 1
#define SPRAY
#define FIXT
#ifndef lint
static char *rcsid =
   "@(#)$Header: Etraceroute.c,v 6.3.0 2003/02/11 gavron([email protected])";
#endif
#ifdef TRACE_TOS
#define TR_VERSION "6.3.0 GOLD+emf_prototrace0.2+sl_tostrace0.1"
#else /* not TRACE_TOS */
#define TR_VERSION "6.3.0 GOLD+emf_prototrace0.2"
#endif /* not TRACE_TOS */

/*
 * traceroute host  - trace the route ip packets follow going to "host".
 *
 * Attempt to trace the route an ip packet would follow to some
 * internet host.  We find out intermediate hops by launching probe
 * packets with a small ttl (time to live) then listening for an
 * icmp "time exceeded" reply from a gateway.  We start our probes
 * with a ttl of one and increase by one until we get an icmp "port
 * unreachable" (which means we got to "host") or hit a max (which
 * defaults to 30 hops & can be changed with the -m flag).  Three
 * probes (change with -q flag) are sent at each ttl setting and a
 * line is printed showing the ttl, address of the gateway and
 * round trip time of each probe.  If the probe answers come from
 * different gateways, the address of each responding system will
 * be printed.  If there is no response within a 5 sec. timeout
 * interval (changed with the -w flag), a "*" is printed for that
 * probe.
 *
 * Probe packets are UDP format.  We don't want the destination
 * host to process them so the destination port is set to an
 * unlikely value (if some clod on the destination is using that
 * value, it can be changed with the -p flag).
 *
 * A sample use might be:
 *
 *     [yak 71]% traceroute nis.nsf.net.
 *     traceroute to nis.nsf.net (35.1.1.48), 30 hops max, 56 byte packet
 *      1  helios.ee.lbl.gov (128.3.112.1)  19 ms  19 ms  0 ms
 *      2  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  39 ms  39 ms  19 ms
 *      3  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  39 ms  39 ms  19 ms
 *      4  ccngw-ner-cc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.136.23)  39 ms  40 ms  39 ms
 *      5  ccn-nerif22.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.168.22)  39 ms  39 ms  39 ms
 *      6  128.32.197.4 (128.32.197.4)  40 ms  59 ms  59 ms
 *      7  131.119.2.5 (131.119.2.5)  59 ms  59 ms  59 ms
 *      8  129.140.70.13 (129.140.70.13)  99 ms  99 ms  80 ms
 *      9  129.140.71.6 (129.140.71.6)  139 ms  239 ms  319 ms
 *     10  129.140.81.7 (129.140.81.7)  220 ms  199 ms  199 ms
 *     11  nic.merit.edu (35.1.1.48)  239 ms  239 ms  239 ms
 *
 * Note that lines 2 & 3 are the same.  This is due to a buggy
 * kernel on the 2nd hop system -- lbl-csam.arpa -- that forwards
 * packets with a zero ttl.
 *
 * A more interesting example is:
 *
 *     [yak 72]% traceroute allspice.lcs.mit.edu.
 *     traceroute to allspice.lcs.mit.edu (18.26.0.115), 30 hops max
 *      1  helios.ee.lbl.gov (128.3.112.1)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
 *      2  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  19 ms  19 ms  19 ms
 *      3  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  39 ms  19 ms  19 ms
 *      4  ccngw-ner-cc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.136.23)  19 ms  39 ms  39 ms
 *      5  ccn-nerif22.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.168.22)  20 ms  39 ms  39 ms
 *      6  128.32.197.4 (128.32.197.4)  59 ms  119 ms  39 ms
 *      7  131.119.2.5 (131.119.2.5)  59 ms  59 ms  39 ms
 *      8  129.140.70.13 (129.140.70.13)  80 ms  79 ms  99 ms
 *      9  129.140.71.6 (129.140.71.6)  139 ms  139 ms  159 ms
 *     10  129.140.81.7 (129.140.81.7)  199 ms  180 ms  300 ms
 *     11  129.140.72.17 (129.140.72.17)  300 ms  239 ms  239 ms
 *     12  * * *
 *     13  128.121.54.72 (128.121.54.72)  259 ms  499 ms  279 ms
 *     14  * * *
 *     15  * * *
 *     16  * * *
 *     17  * * *
 *     18  ALLSPICE.LCS.MIT.EDU (18.26.0.115)  339 ms  279 ms  279 ms
 *
 * (I start to see why I'm having so much trouble with mail to
 * MIT.)  Note that the gateways 12, 14, 15, 16 & 17 hops away
 * either don't send ICMP "time exceeded" messages or send them
 * with a ttl too small to reach us.  14 - 17 are running the
 * MIT C Gateway code that doesn't send "time exceeded"s.  God
 * only knows what's going on with 12.
 *
 * The silent gateway 12 in the above may be the result of a bug in
 * the 4.[23]BSD network code (and its derivatives):  4.x (x <= 3)
 * sends an unreachable message using whatever ttl remains in the
 * original datagram.  Since, for gateways, the remaining ttl is
 * zero, the icmp "time exceeded" is guaranteed to not make it back
 * to us.  The behavior of this bug is slightly more interesting
 * when it appears on the destination system:
 *
 *      1  helios.ee.lbl.gov (128.3.112.1)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
 *      2  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  39 ms  19 ms  39 ms
 *      3  lilac-dmc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.216.1)  19 ms  39 ms  19 ms
 *      4  ccngw-ner-cc.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.136.23)  39 ms  40 ms  19 ms
 *      5  ccn-nerif35.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.168.35)  39 ms  39 ms  39 ms
 *      6  csgw.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.133.254)  39 ms  59 ms  39 ms
 *      7  * * *
 *      8  * * *
 *      9  * * *
 *     10  * * *
 *     11  * * *
 *     12  * * *
 *     13  rip.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.131.22)  59 ms !  39 ms !  39 ms !
 *
 * Notice that there are 12 "gateways" (13 is the final
 * destination) and exactly the last half of them are "missing".
 * What's really happening is that rip (a Sun-3 running Sun OS3.5)
 * is using the ttl from our arriving datagram as the ttl in its
 * icmp reply.  So, the reply will time out on the return path
 * (with no notice sent to anyone since icmp's aren't sent for
 * icmp's) until we probe with a ttl that's at least twice the path
 * length.  I.e., rip is really only 7 hops away.  A reply that
 * returns with a ttl of 1 is a clue this problem exists.
 * Traceroute prints a "!" after the time if the ttl is <= 1.
 * Since vendors ship a lot of obsolete (DEC's Ultrix, Sun 3.x) or
 * non-standard (HPUX) software, expect to see this problem
 * frequently and/or take care picking the target host of your
 * probes.
 *
 * Other possible annotations after the time are !H, !N, !P (got a host,
 * network or protocol unreachable, respectively), !S or !F (source
 * route failed or fragmentation needed -- neither of these should
 * ever occur and the associated gateway is busted if you see one).  If
 * almost all the probes result in some kind of unreachable, traceroute
 * will give up and exit.
 *
 * Notes
 * -----
 * This program must be run by root or be setuid.  (I suggest that
 * you *don't* make it setuid -- casual use could result in a lot
 * of unnecessary traffic on our poor, congested nets.)
 *
 * This program requires a kernel mod that does not appear in any
 * system available from Berkeley:  A raw ip socket using proto
 * IPPROTO_RAW must interpret the data sent as an ip datagram (as
 * opposed to data to be wrapped in a ip datagram).  See the README
 * file that came with the source to this program for a description
 * of the mods I made to /sys/netinet/raw_ip.c.  Your mileage may
 * vary.  But, again, ANY 4.x (x < 4) BSD KERNEL WILL HAVE TO BE
 * MODIFIED TO RUN THIS PROGRAM.
 *
 * The udp port usage may appear bizarre (well, ok, it is bizarre).
 * The problem is that an icmp message only contains 8 bytes of
 * data from the original datagram.  8 bytes is the size of a udp
 * header so, if we want to associate replies with the original
 * datagram, the necessary information must be encoded into the
 * udp header (the ip id could be used but there's no way to
 * interlock with the kernel's assignment of ip id's and, anyway,
 * it would have taken a lot more kernel hacking to allow this
 * code to set the ip id).  So, to allow two or more users to
 * use traceroute simultaneously, we use this task's pid as the
 * source port (the high bit is set to move the port number out
 * of the "likely" range).  To keep track of which probe is being
 * replied to (so times and/or hop counts don't get confused by a
 * reply that was delayed in transit), we increment the destination
 * port number before each probe.
 *
 * Don't use this as a coding example.  I was trying to find a
 * routing problem and this code sort-of popped out after 48 hours
 * without sleep.  I was amazed it ever compiled, much less ran.
 *
 * I stole the idea for this program from Steve Deering.  Since
 * the first release, I've learned that had I attended the right
 * IETF working group meetings, I also could have stolen it from Guy
 * Almes or Matt Mathis.  I don't know (or care) who came up with
 * the idea first.  I envy the originators' perspicacity and I'm
 * glad they didn't keep the idea a secret.
 *
 * Tim Seaver, Ken Adelman and C. Philip Wood provided bug fixes and/or
 * enhancements to the original distribution.
 *
 * I've hacked up a round-trip-route version of this that works by
 * sending a loose-source-routed udp datagram through the destination
 * back to yourself.  Unfortunately, SO many gateways botch source
 * routing, the thing is almost worthless.  Maybe one day...
 *
 *  -- Van Jacobson ([email protected])
 *     Tue Dec 20 03:50:13 PST 1988
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1988 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 * by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 */

/*
 * PSC Changes Copyright (c) 1992 Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 * distribution and use acknowledge that the modifications to this
 * software were developed by the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
 * The name of the Center may not be used to endorse or promote
 * products derived from this software without specific prior written
 * permission.  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY
 * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE.
 *
 */

/* DNS lookup portions of this code also subject to the following:  */
/*
 * Use the domain system to resolve a name.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1988,1990,1992 Dan Nydick, Carnegie-Mellon University
 * Anyone may use this code for non-commercial purposes as long
 * as my name and copyright remain attached.
 */

/*
 *  1/7/92:  Modified to include a new option for MTU discovery.
 *           This option will send out packets with the don't
 *           fragment bit set in order to determine the MTU
 *           of the path being traceroute'd.  Only decreases
 *           in MTU will be detected, and the MTU will initially
 *           be set to the interface MTU which is used for
 *           routing.  In the event of an MTU decrease in the
 *           path, the output will include a message of the
 *           form MTU=#### with the new MTU for the latest
 *           hop.  This option is invoked with "-M".
 *                            Jamshid Mahdavi,   PSC.
 */

/*
 * 4/12/93:  Modified to include new option (-Q) that will report on
 *           percentage packet loss* in addition to the usual
 *           min/avg/max delay.  When -Q is invoked, delay per packet
 *           reporting is turned off.  Also ^C aborts further packets
 *           sent on that ttl and goes on to the next -- two
 *           consecutive ^Cs will terminate the traceroute entirely.
 *           [modified code rom Matt Mathis' uping.c code]
 *                          Jon Boone,  PSC.
 */

/*
 * 4/23/93:  Added support for a "-a" switch which will support
 *           automatic cutoff after a certain number of dropped
 *           packets in a row
 *                          Jon Boone, PSC.
 */

/*
 * 10/21/93: (JM) Fixed SGI version, changed the packet sizing scheme
 *           to a saner system based on total packet size (which
 *           also fixed several bugs in the old code w.r.t.
 *           size of packets).  Added fast timers.  Added network
 *           owner lookup.  Plan to add AS path lookup eventually...
 */

/*
 * 05/20/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected]) Added in the following:
 *              1. -A now looks up ASs
 *              2. When nprobes = 1 it doesn't give up after one hop
 *              3. Fixed in-addr searches to try progressively larger blocks
 *                 since MCI's backbone uses one SOA for a 256-class-c block
 *              4. It now works under VMS
 *              5. Miscellaneous casts to make ANSI compilers happy
 *              6. Changes #ifdef'd as MAY95
 */

/*
 * 07/20/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected])
 *           1. Added in a fix to correct for an occasional hang.
 *           2. Fixed minor ANSI compiler things so SunOS likes it
 *
 *           The code, from Steffen Baur ([email protected]) is described by
 *           him as follows.
 *
 *           I've discovered another bug in traceroute. Sometimes traceroute
 *           seem to 'hang' if there's no response for a probe.
 *
 *           The problem is, that all icmp messages (even responses for other
 *           ping or traceroute tasks) are copied to the input socket. After
 *           every receive (even on messages for other tasks), traceroute
 *           waits for another timeout intervall. So, if there is much icmp
 *           traffic on the host, the socket always receives an icmp message
 *           for another task before the timeout occurs.
 *
 *           I introduced a kind of deadline in wait_for_reply().
 */

/*
 * 07/20/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected])
 *              More minor fixes.  Now compiles cleanly on Solaris as well.
 */

/*
 * 09/04/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected])
 *              Now uses VMS command language definition module if available
 *              Cleaned up code a bit...
 */

/*
 * 10/04/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected])
 *              It used to be that everyone only had one RADB entry, so that
 *              finding the AS given the net was easy.
 *              Then it turns out that lots of people now have multiple
 *              entries.
 *
 *              Here's the solution:
 *              1) Use the most specific entries in RADB
 *              2) Where entries are equally specific yet list different
 *                 ASs, list all ASs separated by /.
 *              3) Have a beer
 */

/*
 * 10/15/95: (Ehud Gavron, [email protected])
 *              1) [email protected] reports that not terminating reply[]
 *                 is a poor idea ;-)  Corrected.
 *              2) Scott Bradner reports it doesn't work on big-endians.
 *                 Disabled new_packet_ok stuff for now
 *              3) Fixed to use correct offsets.  Removed ntohs() stuff
 *                 since buffer must be in n order (duh).
 *              4) Added in stuff so it will build on Suns without the UCB
 *                 optional compiler /usr/ucb/cc.  (-DSUN_WO_UCB)
 *              5) Added in a diagnostic to check for ip version == 4!
 *              6) Made it work with freebsd by modifying send_probe()
 *                 to fill in ip->ip_v and ip->ip_hl.
 */
/*
 * 11/22/95 Ehud Gavron
 *              bcopy doesn't exist on some systems (Suns without UCB)
 *              but we can't use strncpy since it stops on a 0 byte,
 *              which screws up get_origin since whois.ra.net currently
 *              is blah.blah.0.blah :-)
 */

/*
 * 03/28/96 Ehud Gavron
 *              New Cisco code ignores closely-separated packets that
 *              should generate ICMP errors.  As a result, what used
 *              to be !H !H !H now is !H * !H, and of course delay
 *              stats _to_ a Cisco now show 50% loss.
 *
 *              Modify code to check for unreachable+loss.  This mod
 *              is in under the cisco_icmp ifdef.
 *
 */

/*
 * 12/17/96 Ehud Gavron
 *              If we make the terminator flexible, we can do live HTML
 *              (www.opus1.com/www/traceroute.html) instead of waiting
 *              for the whole thing to be done and then displaying it.
 *              Use -Tterminator in printf() parser format.
 */

/*
 * 01/18/97 Ehud Gavron
 *              MCI administratively prohibits some packets from crossing
 *              routers.  (traceroute www.mci.net).  Check for ICMP type
 *              13 (undefined in include files here :() and display !A
 *
 * 02/11/97     Change random mishmash of printf, Printf, fprintf(stdout,
 *              fprintf(stderr, into consistent usage of err for errors
 *              and verbosity and stdout for everything else.
 */

/*
 * 05/05/98     Ehud Gavron     [email protected]
 *
 *              1) Make SOLARIS a define that automatically sets
 *                 'SUN_WO_UCB' for Sun without UCB compiler addons and
 *                 'POSIX' to fix the bullshit in RESOLV.H (__res_send)
 *
 *              2) Make defines for
 *                 'STRING'  system should use <string.h> not <strings.h>
 *                 'NOINDEX' system should use strchr(), not index()
 *                 'NOBZERO' system should use memset() not bzero, and memcpy()
 *                           not bcopy()
 *
 *              3) Add function prototypes.  They can be removed via
 *                 'NO_PROTOTYPES'
 *
 *              4) Based on Pansiot and Grad's wanting to ignore loss,
 *                 add -U flag.  (/HURRY on VMS).  This one will only
 *                 sit on a hop until it gets a satisfactory response.
 *                 That way hops with loss will get up to -n probes,
 *                 and hops with no loss will get just one.
 *
 *              5) Recoded some passing of parameters to make ansi-compliant
 *                 compilers even happier.
 */

/*
 * 06/30/98     Ehud Gavron     [email protected]
 *
 *              V2.8.1  Added -P  (/PING) to help out sites that are smurf-safe
 *                      by blocking ICMP ECHO reply.
 *                      This will do the same as 1 probe, timeout 3, ttl 64
 *                      and return a status of 1 (success) or 0 (failure)
 */

/*
 * 01/05/1999   Ehud Gavron     [email protected]
 *              V2.8.2  Added in Brian Murphy's linux code.  His comments:
 * 12/31/98 (Brian Murphy, [email protected])
 *      Ported to linux.  Tested on Red Hat 5.0 with the 2.1.128 kernel.
 *
 * 01/01/98
 *      Removed trust from getenv() that could lead to a buffer overflow.
 */

/*
 * 01/06/1999   Ehud Gavron     [email protected]
 *              V2.8.3  Added in Craig Watkins <[email protected]>
 *                      fix to make SolX86 work (missing htons() in ip_len)
 * 01/08/1999   V2.8.4  Added in Richard Irving <[email protected]> nit-fixes
 *                      to check for null parameters, as well as cast some math
 *                      into proper ints.
 * 02/26/1999   V2.9.0  Craig Watkings suggested sending all probes out at
 *                      once. What a great idea!  -P for parallel probing of
 *                      all TTLs.  Messy on output if we don't want to sit
 *                      and definitely wait it out, but useful!  -$ for the
 *                      old 'ping style' behavior.
 * 02/27/1999   V2.9.1  Allow more than one probe per hop, display last one to
 *                      successfully return.  Fix so all packets returning will
 *                      override the max-wait timer.  Fix so we check the TTL
 *                      and make sure our packets (even out of order) are ok.
 *                      pretty up the output.  Remove magic number "3" for
 *                      ICMP_UNREACH_PORT.
 * 03/01/1999   V2.9.2  Freebsd seems to get packets that generate indices
 *                      which are outside the array (line 1299).  This segfault
 *                      is corrected by a bounds check on line 1298.
 * 03/03/1999   V2.9.3  Make printing the header and time difference standard
 *                      callable routines (print_from, print_time).  Make the
 *                      last address be a struct sockaddr_in instead of u_long
 *                      since that's the right way to do it.  Make the code
 *                      in packet_ok() and send_probe() conditional on spray
 *                      mode so we don't jabber all over the data cells!
 * 09/30/1999   V2.9.4  Added "FORCE_NATURAL_MASK" in lookup_as() so that if
 *                      necessary, old-style lookups would still work.  Now,
 *                      the -A option will use the address as is.
 * 11/15/1999   V6.0    Renumber to Version 6.0 and rename to TrACESroute
 *                      to avoid 'confusion' with vj/lbl traceroute 2.9.x.
 *                      Of course this makes us much more advanced than
 *                      Netscape 4.8, I.E. 5.0, or The New AOL 5.0. ;-)
 * 01/18/2000   V6.1    Dan Cohn <[email protected]> provided mods to make
 *                      spray mode as functional as normal mode, both in
 *                      terms of missing packets and in multiple probes.
 * 04/29/2000   V6.1.1  As per Thomas Erskine, add info for -A where the
 *                      route is not in the RR server queried.
 *
 * 06/05/2001   V6.1.2  When using -A, get_origin() returns 0 for ASs not
 *                      found in your particular RA_SERVER.  This, passed
 *                      to printf(%s) ended up as <Null> on Linux, and a
 *                      coredump on Solaris... fixed by adding a nullstring
 *                      <NONE> and checking for zero result from get_origin.
 *                      Thanks to Richard Wright for pointing it out and
 *                      assisting in the debug.
 * 06/16/2001   emf_prototrace 0.2
 *                      Added rudimentary support for generic protocol type
 *                      scan via -I option.  It's really really rough right
 *                      now, but it gives me enough ammunition to tell
 *                      some feeb where my packets are stopping.   I
 *                      generally use this with -I 50 to check for IPSec
 *                      VPN functionality.  (You'd be completely amazed at
 *                      how many people claim their firewall isn't
 *                      interfering with their VPN clients. Sheesh)
 *
 * 10/27/2001   V6.1.3  Disallow max_ttl*nprobes>spraymax. Raise spraymax.
 *
 * 02/05/2002	V6.1.4	Simon Leinen <[email protected]> provided some
 *			nice code to check TOS changes in the encapsulated
 *			header from its original value ... use -t TOS to set.
 * 04/12/2002           Updated comment above
 *
 * 07/23/2002   V6.2.0  Various sources report that the -T terminator can
 *                      be exploited to run malicious code.  This is due
 *                      to sloppy coding on my part when writing it.
 *                      Fixed. In this version FIXT defines that code, and
 *                      assuming it works everywhere, will be mainline code
 *                      in the next minor release.
 *
 * 10/12/2002   V6.2.1  Daniel Kobras reports a slew of poor coding on
 *   			my part in get_origin(), as well as included Colin
 *    			Phipps code in one nice easy fun patch.  Better
 *			code for better living!
 *
 * 11/28/2002	V6.2.2  Benjamin Zwittnig from ARNES provided more fine
 *                      tuning of the accept logic on incoming ICMP packets
 *                      which reduces false results on machines with high
 *                      received ICMP traffic.  Patch submitted by Simon
 *  			Leinen at Switch.
 *
 * 02/11/2003	V6.3.0	Three changes.  First, Martin Godisch's patches
 *    			to allow this to run under Debian.  Second,
 *			Graeme Hewson's patches to fix ICMP traceroute,
 *			and clean up preprocessor inefficiency. Finally,
 *			add Terry Kennedy's fixes for broken raw ip.
 */

#include <stdio.h>

#define IP_VERSION 4    /* We can't work with anything else... */
#define CISCO_ICMP 1    /* We check for loss+unreachables = probes */

#ifdef __decc           /* DEC C wants strings.h to be called string.h */
#define STRING
#define NOINDEX
#define NOBZERO
#endif

#ifdef SOLARIS          /* Solaris has UCB stuff gone, and POSIX resolver */
#define SUN_WO_UCB
#define POSIX
#endif

#ifdef SUN_WO_UCB
#define STRING
#define NOINDEX
#include <signal.h>
#endif

#ifdef _AIX             /* Aix has its own set of fd_* macros */
#include <signal.h>
#include <sys/select.h>
#endif

#ifdef STRING
#include <string.h>
#else /* ! STRING */
#include <strings.h>
#endif /* STRING */

#include <sys/param.h>

#ifdef NOINDEX
#define index(x,y) strchr(x,y)  /* Use ansi strchr() if no index() */
#endif /* NOINDEX */

#ifndef bzero
#ifdef NOBZERO
#define bzero(x,y) memset((void *)x,(int)0,(size_t) y)
#define bcopy(x,y,z) memcpy((void *)y, (const void *)x, (size_t) z)
#endif /* NOBZERO */
#endif /* bzero*/

#include <stdlib.h>             /* For atof(), etc. */
#include <unistd.h>             /* For getpid(), etc. */

/* The VMS stuff follows */
#ifdef  vms
typedef unsigned short uint16_t;
typedef unsigned long uint32_t;
#include "snprintf.c"		/* VMS doesn't have snprintf */
pid_t decc$getpid(void);        /* Just don't ask...*/
#define getpid decc$getpid      /* Really... don't ask.*/
#define perror socket_perror    /* MultiNet wants this */
#ifdef MULTINET_V3
#define errno socket_errno      /* MultiNet wants this */
#include "multinet_root:[multinet.include]errno.h"
#else /* MULTINET_V4 */
#define MULTINET_V4
#include <errno.h>
#ifdef errno
#undef errno
#include "multinet_root:[multinet.include]errno.h"
#define errno socket_errno      /* Multinet 4.1 */
#endif /* errno defined */
#endif /* MULTINET_V3 */
#define write socket_write      /* MultiNet wants this */
#define read socket_read        /* MultiNet wants this */
#define close socket_close      /* MultiNet wants this */
#include <signal.h>
#ifdef __alpha
#define BYTE_ORDER 1234         /* The include files for Alpha are bad. */
#define LITTLE_ENDIAN 1234      /* They incorrectly swap ip_v and ip_hl */
#define BIG_ENDIAN 4321         /* Which makes packet_ok fail.  New diag */
#endif /* __alpha */            /* Info says:  packet version not 4: 5 */
#ifdef VMS_CLD                  /* use separate qualifers instead of options */
#include "clis.h"
#else /* No CLD */
int fixargs(int *, char **, char **);
#endif /* VMS_CLD */
#else /* not VMS */
#include <errno.h>
#endif  /* vms */

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/nameser.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

#ifndef vms                     /* Not VMS */
#ifdef POSIX                            /* Posix */
#define BIND_RES_POSIX3
#include <resolv.h>
#ifdef res_mkquery                              /* __res_mkquery() */
#undef res_mkquery
#endif                                          /* endif */
#ifdef res_send
#undef res_send
#endif
#else /* POSIX */                       /* else ! Posix */
#include <resolv.h>
#endif /* POSIX */                      /* Endif Posix */
#else /* vms */                 /* else VMS */
#ifdef MULTINET_V4      /* they didn't put the prototypes in the file */
#include <resolv.h>
int res_send(unsigned char *, int, unsigned char *, int);
int res_mkquery(int op, const char *dname,
          int class, int type, const char *data, int datalen,
          void *, u_char *buf, int buflen);
int gettimeofday(struct timeval *, void *);
#endif /* MULTINET_V4 */
#endif /* __vms */              /* Endif VMS */

#ifdef __gnu_hurd__
#define __linux__
#endif /* 6.3.0 */

#ifdef __linux__                /* Wrapping this may be excessive */
#define __FAVOR_BSD 1           /* 6.3.0 - add value 1 */
#endif

#ifndef MAX_DATALEN
#define MAX_DATALEN 32000       /* Maximum size of MTU discovery packet length*/
#endif

#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/file.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>

#include <netinet/in_systm.h>
#include <netinet/ip.h>
#ifndef __linux__
#include <netinet/ip_var.h>
#else /* __linux__ */
#include <sys/time.h>
/* IRD #include <netinet/if_tr.h> */
#endif /* __linux__ */
#include <netinet/ip_icmp.h>
#include <netinet/udp.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <math.h>               /* After resolv.h for gcc2.7/sun __p redef */
#include <signal.h>

#ifndef NO_PROTOTYPES           /* By default, have prototypes */
int send_probe(int, int, int);
int wait_for_reply(int, struct sockaddr_in *, struct timeval *);
int packet_ok(u_char *, int, struct sockaddr_in *, int, int);
int tvsub(struct timeval *, struct timeval *);
void print_time(float *);
void print_from(struct sockaddr_in *);
int print(u_char *, int, struct sockaddr_in *);
int reduce_mtu(int);
int doqd(unsigned char *, int);
int dorr(unsigned char *, int, char **);
int doclass(unsigned char *, int);
int dordata(unsigned char *, int, int, int, char *, char **);
int dottl(unsigned char *,int);
int doname(unsigned char *, int, char *);
int dotype(unsigned char *, int);
void AbortIfNull (char *);
void print_ttl(int);
void print_packet(struct ip *, int);
#ifdef V630
void cksum(uint16_t *, int, volatile uint16_t *);
#endif /* V630 */
#endif /* NO_PROTOTYPES */

#define MAXPACKET       65535   /* max ip packet size */
#ifndef MAXHOSTNAMELEN
#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN  64
#endif

#define SIZEOFstructip sizeof(struct ip)

#ifndef FD_SET
#define NFDBITS         (8*sizeof(fd_set))
#define FD_SETSIZE      NFDBITS
#define FD_SET(n, p)    ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] |= (1 << ((n) % NFDBITS)))
#define FD_CLR(n, p)    ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] &= ~(1 << ((n) % NFDBITS)))
#define FD_ISSET(n, p)  ((p)->fds_bits[(n)/NFDBITS] & (1 << ((n) % NFDBITS)))
#define FD_ZERO(p)      bzero((char *)(p), sizeof(*(p)))
#endif

#define Fprintf (void)fprintf
#define Sprintf (void)sprintf
#define Printf (void)printf

#define NOERR(val,msg) {if (((int)(val)) < 0) {perror(msg);exit(1);}}

#ifndef NO_SOA_RECORD
#define NO_SOA_RECORD "no SOA record"
#endif

/*  For some reason, IP_HDRINCL and LSRR don't interact well on SGI;
 *  so turn it off:  */
#ifdef sgi
#undef IP_HDRINCL
#endif

#ifndef vms
extern  int errno;
#endif

extern  char *inet_ntoa();
extern  u_long inet_addr();

#ifndef ULTRIX43
char *index(const char *string, int character);
#endif

#ifdef V630
#ifndef __linux__
void halt();	/* signal handler */
#endif /* __linux__ */
#else /* ! V630 */
void halt();   /* signal handler */
#endif /* ! V630 */

/*
 * format of a probe packet.
 */
struct opacket {
        struct ip ip;
#ifndef V630
        struct udphdr udp;
        u_char seq;             /* sequence number of this packet */
        u_char ttl;             /* ttl packet left with */
        struct timeval tv;      /* time packet left */
#else /* V6.3.0: */
        union {
           struct udp_probe {
                  struct udphdr udp;
                  u_char seq;             /* sequence number of this packet */
                  u_char ttl;             /* ttl packet left with */
                  struct timeval tv;      /* time packet left */
              } udp_probe;
              struct icmp icmp_probe;
        } ip_payload;
#endif /* V6.3.0 */
};

#ifdef SPRAY
/*
 * format of a spray data cell.
 */
#define SPRAYMAX 512            /* We'll only do up to 512 packets at once */
struct {
        u_long  dport;          /* check for matching dport */
        u_char  ttl;            /* ttl we sent it to */
        u_char  type;           /* icmp response type */
        struct  timeval out;    /* time packet left */
        struct  timeval rtn;    /* time packet arrived */
        struct  sockaddr_in from; /* whom from */
} spray[SPRAYMAX];
int *spray_rtn[SPRAYMAX];       /* See which TTLs have responded */
int spray_target;               /* See which TTL the host responds on */
int spray_max;                  /* See which is the highest TTL we've seen */
int spray_min;                  /* See smallest host-returned TTL */
int spray_total;                /* total of responses seen */
int spray_mode =0;              /* By default, turned off */
#endif /* SPRAY */

#ifdef TRACE_TOS
static u_char last_tos;
static u_char tos_at_this_hop;
#endif /* TRACE_TOS */

u_char  packet[512];            /* last inbound (icmp) packet */
struct opacket  *outpacket;     /* last output packet */
char *inetname();
u_char  optlist[MAX_IPOPTLEN];  /* IP options list  */
int _optlen;
struct icmp *icp;               /* Pointer to ICMP header in packet */

int s;                          /* receive (icmp) socket file descriptor */
int sndsock;                    /* send (udp) socket file descriptor */
#if defined(FREEBSD) || defined(__linux__)
struct timezone tz;
#else
unsigned long   tz;             /* leftover */
#endif
struct sockaddr whereto;        /* Who to try to reach */
struct sockaddr_in addr_last;   /* last printed address */
int datalen;                    /* How much data */

char *source = 0;
char *hostname;
char hnamebuf[MAXHOSTNAMELEN];

int nprobes = 3;
int min_ttl = 1;
int max_ttl = 30;
u_short ident;
u_short port = 32768+666;       /* start udp dest port # for probe packets */
u_short sport = 1000;           /* source port ... */

/* Remap a subset of standard socket options so that we're able to OR
 * them together.
 */
enum trt_socket_options {
	TRT_DEBUG 	= (1<<0),
	TRT_DONTROUTE 	= (1<<1)
};

enum trt_socket_options options; /* socket options */
int verbose;
int mtudisc=0;                  /* do MTU discovery in path */
int pingmode=0;                 /* replacing ping functionality? */
#ifndef vms
float waittime = 3.0;           /* time to wait for response (in seconds) */
#else /* vms */
double waittime = 3.0;
#endif
int nflag;                      /* print addresses numerically */

#define TERM_SIZE 32            /* Size of line terminator... */
char terminator[TERM_SIZE];     /* Line terminator... */
int haltf=0;                    /* signal happened */
int ppdelay=1;                  /* we normally want per-packet delay */
int pploss=0;                   /* we normally don't want packet loss */
int lost;                       /* how many packets did we not get back */
double throughput;              /* percentage packets not lost */
int consecutive=0;              /* the number of consecutive lost packets */
int automagic=0;                /* automatically quit after 10 lost packets? */
int hurry_mode=0;               /* only do one on successful ttls */
int utimers=0;                  /* Print timings in microseconds */
int dns_owner_lookup=0;         /* Look up owner email in DNS */
int as_lookup=0;                /* Look up AS path in routing registries */
int got_there;
int unreachable;
int response_mask = 0;
int mtu, new_mtu = 0;

char nullstring[] = "<NONE>";

char usage[] = "%s: TrACESroute Usage: traceroute [-adnruvAMOQ] [-w wait] [-S start_ttl] [-m max_ttl] [-p port#] [-q nqueries] [-g gateway] [-t tos] [-s src_addr] [-g router] [-I proto] host [data size]\n\
      -a: Abort after 10 consecutive drops\n\
      -d: Socket level debugging (root only)\n\
      -g: Use this gateway as an intermediate hop (uses LSRR)\n\
      -S: Set start TTL (default 1)\n\
      -m: Set maximum TTL (default 30)\n\
      -n: Report IP addresses only (not hostnames)\n\
      -p: Use an alternate UDP port\n\
      -q: Set the number of queries at each TTL (default 3)\n\
      -r: Set Dont Route option\n\
      -s: Set your source address\n\
      -t: Set the IP TOS field (default 0)\n\
      -u: Use microsecond timestamps\n\
      -v: Verbose\n\
      -w: Set timeout for replies (default 5 sec)\n\