Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 11:21:45 2003

Information should be free.  This however assumes that people will be
_responsible_ for what is done with the information.

On Manuel and Jose - with a valid permit number they get the information
if Bubba and Joe do not have a _valid_ permit number they do not get the
information because in the absence of legitimate need for this information
they probably should not have it

Try going to a presidential library and trying to access the information
there you still need a legitimate scholarly interest to access any of the
information deemed _sensitive_ by the curator.  In most of these cases the
documents are available on microfilm or digitally so fragility has noting
to do with the access restrictions on the document but harm to the
subject of the documents does play a significant role in what information
is released to the general public and what is restricted to scholarly
interests.

I want to live in a world where information can be free however this a
utopian ideal which does not work in the _real_ world.  We as a group need
to create a system which allows access to this information WITHOUT
resorting to having GOVERNMENT control access to the information.  BUT we
also need to ensure that the information is used responsibly.   Having
"secrets" benefits no one except the keeper of the secrets.

                            Scott C. McGrath