Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 10:01:55 2003

Remember that Dig Safe is implemented on a state by state basis some of
the programs like the one you describe are dreadful. The one in my home
state is fairly thorough in checking bona fides before providing the data

I believe in setting a fairly low bar for access to this information i.e.
can you _prove_ that you have legitimate cause for access to this
information.  The proof would be do you have
fiber/conduit/circuits/pipelines these all have identifiers which can be
checked and generally only the customer and the service provider has this
information.   Not simply whose fibers are in the conduit attached to the
railroad bridge.  if you own one of those fibers you get access to the
information on who else is in the conduit.   if you do not you are not
privvy to the information.

We had a incident where someone accidentally started a fire under a bridge
and burned through a PVC conduit knocking phone and data out for the
better part of a week for 100,000+ lines.  I really do not want that type
of information in the hands of a bored teenager so they would be able
identify potential targets so that they can be _famous_.

Remember when you go to a library to study rare manuscripts you generally
need to prove to the curator that you have a legitimate scholarly interest
in the documents not simply random curiousity.

                            Scott C. McGrath