Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 00:39:04 2003

on 8/17/2003 9:09 PM [email protected] wrote:

> Org A makes a killing. Given that the players were producers, buyers
> and sellers of the same product this creates no incentaive to build out
> additional capasity. Quite different from say, Hog futures, were the
> supply side and demand side are not the same person. According the the
> NPR report I heard on this, the money to be made here is huge  provided
> there was just enough power or not quite enough. So there were not
> market checks and ballances. having additional capasity on hand, in
> this system, drives down price in a futures market.

Capacity isn't the problem. The problem is that there aren't enough lines
between the providers and consumers to carry the current volume.

> So back on Sean's question, maps did not divulge this; at least not the
> primary cause. I see the primary cause as economic. It seems to me we
> are seeking a mechanical cause instead of looking at the fauly business
> model that allowed this to happen.

No sorry. The grid is a national problem and has been stabbed at several
times, but different special interests always move to keep the necessary
work from being done.

  LULU -- Locally Undesirable Land Use
  NIMBY -- Not In My Backyard
  BANANA -- Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone
  NOPE -- Nowhere on Planet Earth

Another more-recent camp are those who see everything as a move by The Man
and Mr. Big which must be stopped.