Re: East Coast outage?

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Sat Aug 16 19:09:11 2003

Thus spake "Petri Helenius" <[email protected]>
> > > subsidize) local power generation via renewable energy sources (e.g.
> > > solar, wind, hydro) it would go a long way towards solving this
problem.

> > Rubbish.
> >
> > If in order to make it viable such energy needs to be subsidized then it
is
> > not "affordable".
> >
> And solar nor wind are good for base energy production so we�re stuck
> with other methods unless you want to move IP packets only when it�s
> windy.

Or you store excess power generated on windy/sunny days for later
distribution on calm/rainy days:
http://www.tva.gov/sites/raccoonmt.htm

That still ignores tidal, hydro, and geothermal power, which are available
24x7.  And let's not forget ethanol, which is easy to make from excess food
crops and has already replaced gasoline entirely in a few countries.