Re: East Coast outage?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 19:05:10 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:25:14 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:

> It seems to me that the power guys are still living somewhere in the
> last century. Is it really impossible to absorb power spikes? We can go
> from utility to battery or the other way around in milliseconds, so it

How many kVA are *you* switching?

How many kVA are running through those big 765kv lines?

This is what a *circuit breaker* looks like at those sizes:

http://www.hhi.co.kr/english/IndustrialPowerSystem/product/highvoltage/product2-7.html

8000 amps at 765kv.

And that's just to *break* the circuit without vaporizing itself in the process.