RE: East Coast outage?

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 18:48:22 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Ejay Hire wrote:

> I similar technology has been discussed before, and I believe it is still a
> viable option:  RFCs 1149 and 2549, Avian Carriers.  While avian carriers do
> present problems, (flapping, unpredictable delay, queuing issues, and buggy
> implementations (specifically lice and mites)), I believe they are a better
> option than IP via Balloon.  Balloons offer higher bandwidth (practically any
> payload size can be accommodated with a larger envelope), but the connection
> is much slower and less predictable than avian carrier.  Balloon carrier
> retransmits are very expensive and the TTL is affected by the cost of propane
> and the general wind direction.

Interesting, altho avian carriers is in the RFCs and has actually been used,
balloons have not, perhaps you should do an experiment to compare them ;p

> As an alternative, perhaps we should consider IP via dirigible.  A properly
> sized airship loaded with a high speed DVD-rw library comprising (tens of )
> thousands of discs providing a very high bandwidth, high latency, low loss (if
> helium is used instead of hydrogen) carrier might be an option.

Actually I think that was a spin-off of the thread not so long ago where they
broke the data speed record. Carrying such a quantity of DVDs (or similar media)
on a plane such as concorde does produce higher bandwidths than current "fat
pipes"

Steve