Re: BGP route tracking.

  • From: cowie
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 00:26:30 2003

> Anybody watching the bgp routing table.. I see about 5,000 less routes than
> usual.   Anybody know a good pointer..

Okay, here are a couple quick screenshots of what we're looking at
tonight.

First, a plot that shows the routing table size shrinkage since the
onset of the blackout at 16:13:07 +/- EDT, across a group
of routers.

     http://gradus.renesys.com/aug2003/blackout1-rtsize.gif

Second, a wider-angle 3D plot of prefix withdrawal rates over the
last week, reported by various peers (one line per).

     http://gradus.renesys.com/aug2003/aug7-aug14-withdrawals.gif

The blackout is the big event at the right hand edge (#3).

Note the sustained high rates of route withdrawal that have been
the norm since the onset of MSBlast.  Unlike typical single-cause
events (like the one marked #1), MSBlast scanning has caused
prefix withdrawal rates to gently "lift off" into a noiser mode
across the board, lasting for days (so far).

> (im just getting bored waiting for us to run out of fuel)

Ouch ..

James Cowie
Renesys Corporation
[email protected]