Re[2]: Power outage in North East

  • From: Richard Welty
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 18:46:46 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:30:49 -0400 Damian Gerow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thus spake Joel Perez ([email protected]) [14/08/03 16:27]:
> > Has anyone heard of a big Power outage in the North east?
> > I just got a call from one of my tech's in the GBLX bldg in Newark, NJ
> > at 1085 raymond and they are telling him that they lost power!
> > But I also got a call from AT&T in NY that they also lost Power!

> It looks like a rather large power outage -- we're in South Western
> Ontario,
> Canada, and power is out in Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Hespler, and
> (I'm
> pretty sure) London as well.  Can't say about Toronto.

latest word (on cnn.com) is that the niagara-mohawk grid (upstate NY and
parts of canada) overloaded and went down.

i lost power here twice over a period of about 15 minutes (here being on
NYSEG, east of Albany NY, which is joined to Ni-Mo at the hip.) it's back
up, but i suspect it'll be shaky for a while.

all the burning transformers, etc., are all probably side effects of the
major power outage.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         [email protected]