Re: Microsoft to ship new versions with firewall enabled

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 14:05:17 2003

Richard Cox wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:07 UTC, "Eric A. Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | Wouldn't it make more sense to ship with all of the services disabled?
>
> Yes it would - at least to US - but that would inevitably create a load
> for the Support desk.  However as Microsoft charge for end-user support
> I wouldn't put it past them thinking along those lines.  I hope there's
> nobody from Microsoft reading this list ... that might give them ideas!

But who actually calls Microsoft for support? Bob and Beth Luser call their
OEM, DELL, Gateway, Sony, Compaq, etc., not Microsoft.

And I think the EOMs are getting off a little easy in all of this. Microsoft
distributes their product to OEMs who have a fair a bit room to customize
the default settings (all of the monopolistic arm twisting involving hiding
IE icons, installing other web browsers, etc., ignored for now). How much
you wanna bet if Microsoft distributes with the firewall enabled, OEMs will
turn around and _disable_ it in the installation they sell? They are the
ones who want to cut down the support calls. And they don't want to lose
business to a competitor who ships with all of the bells-n-whistles turned
back on because Bob and Beth are convinced the computer they got was "broken"
because disabled (mis)features were not enabled out of the box.

On the other hand, OEMs can be the Good Guys here and take the lead
ahead of Mickeysoft and firm up the loose default setting they get from
Microsoft. DELL has promised to do this... but I still don't know if
their press releases will live up to reality. If any NANOGers out there
make purchasing decisions about PCs with Windows, I hope you direct your
business towards OEMs who do sell better secured distributions or demand
that the OEMs do so.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]