Re: Microsoft to ship new versions with firewall enabled

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 12:40:05 2003

ipchains and similar firewalls are indeed far superior.  I manage "real"
firewalls as part of my responsibilities.

However the new microsoft policy will help protect the network from Joe
and Jane average who buy a PC from the closest "big box" store and hook it
up to their cable modem so they can exchange pictures of the kids with the
grandparents in Fla.  This is the class of users who botnet builders dream
about because these people do not see a computer as a complex system which
_requires_ constant maintenance but as a semi-magical device for moving
images and text around.

                            Scott C. McGrath