Re: Blaster packet rates

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 07:20:08 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:17:16AM +0100, Pendergrass, Greg wrote:
[snip]
> I haven't done a long-term look at RCP and netbios traffic on the
> web so I have no way to determine how much is blaster generated,
> does anyone have baseline information on the amount of RCP and
> netbios packets were on the web before blaster was propagated?
> Alternatively, has anyone worked out the % of blaster scan as
> opposed to "normal" background RCP and netbios traffic?

Negative, but the normal background noise of netbios+friends
(including 445) is constant & at a high enough rate that on some
residential broadband networks, a pause/break in the activity
in one's filter log files is the most reliable way to detect
network outages.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE