Re: I can't reach MS sites

  • From: Gerald
  • Date: Wed Aug 13 14:45:47 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Stephen Williams wrote:

> in attempting to patch systems here (at U of Texas) I have noticed that
> over the last two days the windowsupdate url for Microsoft has at times
> not responded, or been very slow to respond.  Between port scans from
> the worm and the demand of people wanting to download patches they may
> be getting a bit overwhelmed.

On a few of the machines I patched that already had it running, IE would
flip to Done with a blank screen. Checked the registry and removed
everything except default from Run (with a reg backup of course) and
removed everything from the startup menu. Reboot and it pulled up windows
update.

In one instance had 2 machines sitting side by side. Both had MSN as home
page. Both would pull the MSN site up fine. Click on tools/WUPD and one
would go every time. The other would open a blank web site. Removed all
from Run in registry and cleared startup. Reboot and viola WindowsUpdate
pulls up. (Patch, reboot, patch, reboot, driver update, reboot, and then
add keys back to registry that were really needed)

Note: On one windows XP machine unchecking all in msconfig for
registry was not enough.

P.S. Patching my FreeBSD machines twice this last week was soo much
easier.