Re: Port blocking last resort in fight against virus

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Aug 12 11:38:31 2003

Sean Donelan wrote:
http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BEC6DE12EC6AE16ECC256D8000192BF7!opendocument

"While some end users are calling for ISPs to block certain ports relating
to the Microsoft exploit as reported yesterday (Feared RPC worm starts to
spread), most ISPs are reluctant to do so."

Is it just me that feels that blocking a port which is known to be used to perform billions of scans is only proper? It takes time to contact, clean, or suspend an account that is infected. Allowing infected systems to continue to scan only causes problems for other networks. I see no network performance issues, but that doesn't mean other networks won't have issues.

-Jack