Re: RPC errors

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Mon Aug 11 16:53:49 2003

Sean Donelan wrote:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
The worm uses the RPC DCOM vulnerability to propagate. One it finds a
vulnerable system, it will spawn a shell and use it to download the actual
worm via tftp.

The name of the binary is msblast.exe. It is packed with UPX and will self
extract. The size of the binary is about 11kByte unpacked, and 6kBytes
packed:

That shows what I'm seeing. 10% of all outbound packets are tcp/135. Currently blocked both directions at edges in my network until further notice. Keeping an eye on other ports, but this is the only one causing any amount of load to draw concern.

-Jack