Re: Server Redundancy

  • From: Nathan J. Mehl
  • Date: Thu Aug 07 17:24:12 2003

In the immortal words of [email protected] ([email protected]):

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > As a side note, I've used Cisco's CSS, F5's stuff, Alteon, and Foundry.  Out
> > of all of them that I've used, the Foundry had the least problems and had a
> > nicely structured config.
>
> Foundry seems to be fine for www traffic, but has serious issues with
> handling long FTP sessions.  FTP works while you're in your stickiness
> period (up to 2 hours on the non-XL serveriron), but after that it will
> forget which FTP server has the control session and send your next data
> session to another server which won't recognise it.  Last time I spoke to
> Foundry, this was still considered a "feature".
>
> Do other vendors handle this properly?

I recall that Resonate Central Dispatch handled this well the last
time I looked, but the last time I looked was about 3 years ago now,
so take that for what it's worth.  (www.resonate.com)

-n

My goal is real simple: to write better than anyone who can write faster than
me, and faster than anyone who can write better than me.  (--J.M. Straczynski)