RE: Server Redundancy

  • From: Austad, Jay
  • Date: Wed Aug 06 18:21:58 2003

> I've used them all fairly heavily, except the Foundry gear.
> Alteon's my
> personal fave.  Biggest problem with the F5:  hard drive.  In my book,
> that means you instantly need two, doubling the price.

Same thing with the Cisco CSS.  Even without a hard drive, you should have 2
of them anyway.  How do you plan to do software upgrades or other certain
types of maintenance without an outage if you don't have a second one?

I've seen them flake out too, either by not passing traffic or by load
balancing getting messed up somehow.  In most of these situations, a
failover to the standby unit fixed the problem (this was with F5 gear).

-jay