Re: WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Tue Aug 05 23:23:38 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:58:19AM +0000, Paul Vixie quacked:

> could someone here who can write win32 apps, and someone else who can
> write cocoa apps, please volunteer short executables that will try to
> spoof a few packets through some well known server, and then report as
> to whether the current computer/firewall/cablemodem/isp/core permitted
> this or not?  isc would be happy to host the server component of this,
> as long as source code for the executables is available under a bsd
> style copyright, and the executables are released without any fee.

If anyone wants this, I have a unix client and server that does the
basics of the testing Paul's suggesting.  I used it to test
for spoofability from a bunch of my nodes, I don't claim it's
something you want to open up to cable users as-is. :)

The code has only been tested on FreeBSD.  YMMV.  BSD license.
No attempt at real accounting or security.  But maybe it'll get
someone off the ground. :)  If you have compilation problems,
try ripping out the ltconfig and using automake to install the
right version for your own computer (automake --add-missing).

http://eep.lcs.mit.edu/spooftest-dist.tar.gz

  -Dave (spoof now!)

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/