Re: Complaint of the week: Ebay abuse mail (slightly OT)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Aug 05 11:59:32 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 09:56:52 BST, [email protected]  said:

> >1) What *immediate* benefits do you get if you are among the first to
> deploy?
> >(For instance, note that you can't stop accepting "plain old SMTP" till
> >everybody else deploys).
>
> You can replace complex and buggy spam filtering software with simple
> rules on your NIMTP servers.

Erm. No. That's an *eventual* benefit.  If you're among the first 10 sites to
deploy, you get to haul the complex and buggy spam filtering software along
until enough other sites start running the new protocol that you can get away
with saying "screw you" and dropping SMTP support entirely.

Or you can drop SMTP support immediately, or you can drop the spam filtering
immediately - I think both of those are covered by Randy Bush's "I invite my
competitors to design their networks this way" ;)