RE: Just a quick thought...

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Fri Aug 01 12:01:27 2003

[email protected] wrote:

> intellectual property issues?  the IETF could not get change control
> on V8?  :)

Vroooooooooooom <grin>
But ford has a /8 in IPv4 so they surely would like it if the protocol
carried their name too :)

> > I haven't had time to look, but just for my clarification,
> > why was IPv8 not pursued further.  I remember there was a discussion on
IPv6
> > vs IPv8 and the argument to go directly to IPv8 instead, but I had to
drop
> > out from following the discussions since.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/version-numbers :

8       PIP      The P Internet Protocol                 [PXF]

eg:
http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2/ipng/ian.pip.html
http://free.vlsm.org/v01/internet/ietf/00/0019.txt

and more if you google around...

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: Nooo... IPv8 and IPv16 mentioned by a certain person have
nothing to do with it, even better there is no spec of those :)