Re: WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

  • From: Rob Thomas
  • Date: Thu Jul 31 17:39:27 2003

Hi, Rich.

] Do you have any ideas as to why that is?

The anti-spoofing filtering, while not ubiquitous, has had an effect.
The increase in the size of botnets is another reason.  The fact that
the number of vulnerable hosts has reached commodity level is perhaps
the primary reason.  The loss of 10K bots often introduces only the
most minor of delays.  :(

Regarding sophistication:  I never make the mistake of believing the
enemy is dumb.  I also do not believe the enemy will go further than
what is necessary to accomplish the mission.  Just enough is good
enough.

Thanks,
Rob.
--