Re: North America not interested in IP V6

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Thu Jul 31 13:12:28 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 11:02:14AM -0600, Irwin Lazar quacked:

> As one person noted in response to Christian's speech.  If there
> is no addressing shortage, why do I have to pay $75 a month for a
> DSL connection with a static IP address when a floating IP address
> only costs me $40 per month?

I think there are two parts to the answer.

a)  DHCP'ing everyone is just easier.

b) Why do you pay less for a flight with a saturday night stopover?
   - Market segmentation.  People with static addresses usually
     want to do things like run servers, and are probably willing to
     pay for the privilege.

 -Dave

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/