Re: Transformer takes out datacenter (Reno, NV)?

  • From: Scott Call
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 14:36:04 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> Power was indeed off to the entire building, and ATGs generator was involved
> in the explosion, so kudos to ATG and Worldcom for having enough batteries
> to last the night.

Hi Bruce-

	Just a clarification, but ATG's generator was not involved in the
transformer explosion.  The fire department cut off all the generators in
the building for safety sake and would not let us turn them back on until
they made sure they wouldn't backfeed/cause more problems, so we were
stuck on battery until they cleared us (which makes sense, we certainly
don't want to cause more problems).  It was about 7:30 when we were
allowed to turn back on the generator.

	For those who don't know, 200 South Virginia in Reno is one of the
few (if not only) "carrier hotel" in Reno, it has ATG, SBC, MCI, as well
as several local ISPs in it.  It also has (or had) a Genuity pop, although
I don't know if they're still there or not.

	www.rgj.com has a few pictures of the building.

-Scott
ATG