RE: North America not interested in IP V6

  • From: Ben Buxton
  • Date: Wed Jul 30 03:50:28 2003

> From: Nipper, Arnold [mailto:[email protected]]
> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003 9:00 AM, Peter Galbavy
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Regardless of the content of the above, let me say that
> with the exception
> > of "the academic community" (including those in commercial
> orgs) no one in
> > Europe is interested either.
> >

> Here at DE-CIX (www.de-cix.net) I can see that more and more
> ISP are joining
> the IPv6 trial (http://www.de-cix.net/info/decix-ipv6/) .
> Currently already
> 20% of all ~120 ISP at DE-CIX have IPv6 enabled.

AMS-IX (amsterdam IX) is also an active IPv6 internet exchange with
around
25-30 IPv6 enable peers (based on my peers and a 'ping ff02::2' :).

>From what I've managed to determine, the problem with fast adoption of
IPv6
is not so much the networks, it's more the applications. How many
appications
arent coded to support IPv6 sockets? The opposite question would be more
appropriate. What about apps that use hardcoded data structures/file
format
that assume IPv4 style addressing? Do any databases support IPv6 as a
native
datatype? That is the  real hurdle. Turning IPv6 on in networks is
trivial.
Application support is not. And coders dont care about ipv6, just us
networking
people.

BB