Re: North America not interested in IP V6

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Tue Jul 29 16:55:52 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Petri Helenius wrote:
> The mobile ip address demand is not going to be too great when
> a megabyte in most countries costs $10 to $20 to move around.

Over here the monopoly Telcom charges approx $US 0.50 per Megabyte see:

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,202032-200509,00.html

($1NZ =~ $US 0.60)

which possibly almost makes it cheaper today to sit on ICQ than to
get/send SMS messages all day long ( do instant message protocols have
low bandwidth/compressed data options?).

I'm not sure how easy it is for a phone provider to NAT thousands/millions
of people at once onto ICQ, especially when they would prefer to charge
the same people 10 cents per SMS message.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: [email protected]
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: [email protected]