Its not just Spam and DDOS anymore (was Re: OT: Re: User negligence?)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Jul 27 02:41:47 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> I think there is confusion here.
Yep. No problem, I think we've cleared it up.

> The banks are making the claim, that, if you the user, has an infected PC,
> that is compromised by an 3lit3 h4x0r, and your password to your bank
> account is compromised, then the bank is not responsible.
>
> That is what you are saying, Sean?

I posted the dots, but failed to explicitly connect them.

People have been talking about DDOS, spammers and the underground economy.

Folks, its not underground any more.  The criminals are using trojans
to steal real money from real people now.

Firewalls can't stop it, ISPs can't stop it.  Its a *HOST* security issue.

For most home users the choices are get Microsoft to fix its software, or
buy a Macintosh (hide Unix under the hood). For an extra $20 Dell will
pre-configure the system security settings for business purchasers; but
home users are still on their own.