Re: Cisco vulnerability and dangerous filtering techniques

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 17:52:31 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:50:17 EDT, [email protected] said:

> How many thousands of "polls" do you think a looking glass can handle
> simultaneously? I am all for the doomsday scenarios, but lets make them a
> little bit less sci-fi, shall we? How about "it would create valid looking
> OSPF packets with garbage in them?" or "create valid looking STP packets"

Why would thousands be needed?  We already *know* that the bad guys
are *well* acquainted with using P2P networks for controlling zombies.  There's
no reason a few strategic queries won't provide a good first approximation, which
can then be distributed.  Remember - it doesn't have to be perfect to cause a problem. ;)

And no, there's no reason they can;t create poison OSPF or STP packets.