RE: Cisco vulnerability and dangerous filtering techniques

  • From: Austad, Jay
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 11:25:32 2003

I was thinking about this the other day.  The most efficient way to make
this work would be to spread using some vulnerability (like the Microsoft
DCOM vulnerability released last week), and then at a predetermined time,
start DoS'ing routers in the IP space of major providers, and then work your
way towards the "edges."  You can pretty much safely assume that most of
your infected machines are going to basically be on the edges of the
internet, so if you start with major providers, you won't kill all of your
connectivity.  Even more destructive would be p2p built into it, so all of
the infected hosts could coordinate before the attack on what networks each
one would handle.

Someone is likely going to attempt something similar, it's just a matter of
time before it happens.  Luckily this Cisco problem didn't come out around
the same time as the slammer worm.

Jay