Re: Cisco vulnerability and dangerous filtering techniques

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Jul 22 09:48:22 2003

Hi Adam,
 I thought the same, and the solution is to apply the filters to all interfaces
not just the borders.

One thing about the worm idea is that if it hits routers it should burn itself
out fairly quickly as it cuts off its own access.

Another thing is it is necessary to send out probes prior to launching an attack
which will reveal the source address, it is necessary to use non-spoofed
traceroutes (or other ttl-expire technique) as you must set the ttl on the
attack packets so that it arrives with ttl 0

Steve