Infrastructure Filtering (was Re: Patching for Cisco vulnerability)

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Fri Jul 18 16:22:30 2003

This has me wondering if there are any BCPs that touch on the whole idea
of filtering traffic destined to your router, or what the advisory called
"infrastructure filtering".  All in all, it seems like a good idea to
block any direct access to router interfaces.  But as some have probably
found already, it's a big pain in the arse.

If I recall correctly, Rob's Secure IOS Template touches on filtering
known services (the BGP listener, snmp), but what are people's feelings on
maintaining filters on all interfaces *after* loading a fixed IOS?

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman