RE: Cisco IOS Vulnerability

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Thu Jul 17 04:26:39 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> IS anyone seeing this exploited in the wild? It'd be good to know if we
> need to do panic upgrade or can schedule it for our next maintenance
> window (which is during the weekend).

Well, there's this from Wednesday afternoon...

- >  Dear AT&T IP Services Customer:
- >
- >  Please be advised of the following:
- >
- >  This is a preliminary notification to inform you that AT&T IP Services
- >  experienced an impairment that may have affected some customer traffic
- >  on the West Coast.

[The above is is a mild understatement...]

- >  Our Network Engineers have resolved the issue and are currently
- >  investigating the root cause.  A follow-up email will be sent at
- >  the conclusion of the investigation with more information.

[Nothing received yet...]

This was rumored to be a backhoe fade but the advisory refers only to
IP services and there was nothing in the popular press about any major
phone outage, so I have my suspicions.  Usually if there's a fiber cut
they say so.  About this time is when all of the major backbones began
flooding the net with their notices of panic upgrades.

(This is being typed while watching rows and rows of "!!!!!!!").

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - [email protected]
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV