Re: Cisco IOS Vulnerability

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Jul 17 03:10:55 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:05:46 CDT, Darrell Kristof <[email protected]>  said:
> If Cisco made THIS big a deal of this to not release info to the public,
> I wouldn't wait.  There must be a reason. I had to push and push to get
> any info and I think they finally gave up because too many people knew.

> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20030717-blocked.shtml

which says...

"Customers with contracts should obtain upgraded software free of charge through
their regular update channels. For most customers, this means that upgrades
should be obtained through the Software Center on the Cisco worldwide website
at http://www.cisco.com/tacpage/sw-center/sw-ios.html.";

I may have been a few off, but I counted *139* different trains on that page as
being affected. The 12.0S train alone has *13* different rebuilds.

And there's *gotta* be at least 3-4 trains that suffer from bad karma and refuse
to rebuild unless the Rebuild Wizard comes by and sprinkles Magic Rebuild Dust
all over the place, and then there's the special procedure put in place after last
year's debacle when the Magic Rebuild Dust got on that llama... ;)

In other words - yeah, it's probably important to get this update deployed. But
unless somebody has hard evidence to the contrary, I'm betting on it just being
an attempt to not let things leak out till they're ready to ship across the
board. That's a LOT of trains and rebuilds that all need to be ready at the
same time, and Fred Brooks taught us all 30 years ago what happens when you try
something like that. :)