Re: Soviet era maps of Moscow (was Re: Backbone Infrastructure and Secrecy)

  • From: N. Richard Solis
  • Date: Wed Jul 09 14:20:52 2003

 I can tell you that FREQUENTLY the maps dont match the reality of utility placement.  Especially w.r.t. fiber paths.  VERY few cable maps that are availaible accurately reflect splice points or interconnects between mutiple cables entering a vault.  Without access to the specific GPS points and the described arcs that are the foundation of a true GIS representation of installed plant, the maps are useless for anything more specific than knowing whether you are close enough to a fiber route even bother seeing if you can jump onto it.

At a power company that I worked at we had a huge GIS implementation going on.  Every pole, conduit, and cable was entered into the system along with all of the "active" elements like transformers and the like.  We had guys running around with GPS backpacks that received differential GPS coordinates and would walk the routes to enter the data with information about what they were standing next to.  With all of that effort, we would find that the map overlays that represented the streets and homes were so inaccurate that frequently a pole would appear as if it was right in the middle of the of a major roadway.  Thus began the process of cleaning up the city GIS implementation.  It was much better than the maps we had but it wasn't perfect.  Sometimes the data doesn't get quite the sanity checking that it should.  Skill levels differ between mapmakers.