Re: Mark Allman: Internet measurement: what next?

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg
  • Date: Wed Jul 09 04:11:15 2003

On 08.07 14:59, Jack Bates wrote:
> .... The RIPE-NNC tests are much more related to
> what I was refering to, although they are limited in many reguards.

If you tell us what limits you want removed we may work on that!

We are definitely working towards making the results generally
available; see http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-271.html for details
of that proposal.  So far we have had very positive reactions on this
although some ISPs are worried about being exposed in comparison to
competitors who do not participate.

We will also add quite detailed measurments of DNS servers for the root
and TLDs.  Data has been taken for several months now. A beta version of
the resulting products will be available soon.

I have been thinking about a multi-tier measurement network, adding
probes that do not have dedicated hardware and high precision clocks,
but rather conisist of just a software package. These could be deloyed
more easily.

Daniel Karrenberg
RIPE NCC