donotcall.gov - special interests vs the public interest

  • From: Roger Marquis
  • Date: Fri Jul 04 15:47:45 2003

Tried the website again this morning (7/4) and got:

   "We're sorry. The site is unavailable at the moment. Please
   try again later."

Which is not surprising given the underlying technology:

   # HEAD www.donotcall.gov
   Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

Another busy government site using the least secure web server
software.  You can imagine the backend.  Their javascript is also
broken.  It could be worse I suppose, if managed by the USPS...

The site and exceptions list are great examples of the level of
special interest influence in DC.  Unfortunately, their influence
is also a roadblock to national security:

   Bruce Schneier <http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0210.html#1>
   Marcus Ranum <http://www.tisc2002.com/newsletters/414.html>

Anyone here familiar with the subcontractor list for DNC's Internet
servers?

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting