RE: has anyone notice this ?

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Sun Jun 29 20:03:11 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Vicky Rode wrote:

> If a whole bunch of people are having the same issue and they're all on
> Time Warner in your neck of the woods, it probably isn't the cable modem
> hardware.
> -----------------------
> vickyr> exactly my point.

Is Time-Warner associated with Charter Communications?  There's a thread
on Slashdot about their name servers being hijacked to point all requests
to a set of rogue proxy servers.  Another thread suggests a nasty form of
spyware is responsible.

The rogue proxy servers are apparently a man-in-the-middle password sniffer
of some type affecting at a minimum HTTP and SSH.

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/2325235&mode=thread&tid=126

I got the above link by email from someone following this thread but not
set up to post to NANOG.  If true, it makes the thread more NANOG-relevant
than a simple case of poor service from a cable company.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - [email protected]
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV