Re: National Do Not Call Registry has opened and Yahoo isn't blocking it

  • From: John R. Levine
  • Date: Sat Jun 28 01:08:19 2003
  • Newsgroups: iecc.lists.nanog

>"The irony of it is that the confirmation e-mail is being blocked by
>Yahoo, and therefore you will not receive the confirmation mail," said
>Eric Greenberg, chief technology officer of NetFrameworks ...

 ... who hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

I checked with a friend who's a tech manager at Yahoo, and when I gave
him the IP range that donotcall is using (I registered at 1 AM when it
was fast and got most of my mail right away), he checked and found
that in fact Yahoo hadn't blocked anything and at worst had filed some
of them in the Bulk folder, since they're certainly bulky.

Other people have reported delays of up to 11 hours getting their
confirmation mail, so it's clear that a few people have misinterpreted
slow mail as blocked mail.

The donotcall.gov project certainly does seem to have been a learning
experience.  Next time there's a project like this that's going to
have a big first day spike it'd make sense to do load shedding and
divert peak traffic to a server that says "sorry, we're overloaded,
please come back tomorrow and don't panic because you have until the
end of July to sign up and be on the first release of the list."  That
and fix the rDNS and price out some alternatives to Redmond Bloatware,
of course.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711
[email protected], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,