Re: chep snmp temperature sensors

  • From: John Todd
  • Date: Wed Jun 25 01:24:31 2003

I've searched the archives, and didn't see anything current.

I am looking for a small, cheap, simply device, that can measure temp and
be polled via SNMP. POE would be a plus.

Any pointers?

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --
This is a bit of a late reply, but it appears that there is a reasonably inexpensive solution that I had not found when I originally replied to this message:

http://www.sensatronics.com/TempTrax/index.html

There are serial versions and ethernet-based versions. The serial version looks simple enough even to connect to the console of a Cisco for remote access via a script, and the ethernet version doesn't appear too complex, either. (Does a standard Cisco AUX port provide DTR power?) The downside is that they're not SNMP-capable directly; an intermediate glue routine would need to be written.

You can find Nagios (a popular Open-Source monitoring platform) plug-ins for these devices here:

http://www.nagios.org/products/

JT